Dry Rubbed and Smoked Tri-Tip Roast
Slow smoking tri-tip roast in the Masterbuilt smoker is a great way to cook this cut.
- 3 pound tri-tip roast
- 2 tsps sea salt
- 1-1/2 tsps mild chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Water for the smoker bowl
- Cherry wood chips (can substitute hickory or other fruit wood)
- Drip pan for beneath the roast
- Aluminum foil
- Mix all rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place roast on a cutting board. Score fat diagonally an inch apart. Rotate 90 degrees and score again for a diamond pattern. Season meat with rub, press, and let sit 30-60 minutes.
- Add water to smoker base, wood chips in side tray. Preheat smoker to 225°F (107°C).
- Position tri-tip, fat side up, on middle rack. Place drip pan below. Use foil for easy cleanup. Insert digital thermometer in thicker end. Smoke 2 hours, reaching 130-135°F (54-57°C) internal temp. Check chips and water at 60 mins, add if needed.
- Rest roast on clean cutting board, tent with foil 20 mins. Slice thinly, serve with starch and greens. See following recipes.
SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving:
CALORIES: 512 TOTAL FAT: 27g SATURATED FAT: 0g TRANS FAT: 0g
UNSATURATED FAT: 1g CHOLESTEROL: 188mg SODIUM: 950mg CARBOHYDRATES: 5g FIBER: 1g
SUGAR: 1g PROTEIN: 60g